At this time next week, Aden will be at camp in Missouri! He is excited, but not talking about it a whole lot. I'm not sure he fully grasps the magnitude of being away for two weeks, nor all the activities that are in store for him!
This was not an ideal weekend to acquire more animals, but we did. On Saturday morning as I picked up Aden from tennis lessons, a crayfish was scuttling across the pavement... A CRAYFISH in Minnesota? Apparently they are common here - something I did not know. Of course Aden gleefully scooped it up and we spent the next hour preparing a habitat for it. It now lives in yet another tank in our living room.
Saturday we also picked up four orphaned baby birds from our friend. A bad storm either displaced or killed the parents, and they are too small to survive on their own. I was hoping they would be able to fly before our trip next weekend, but I'm not sure that is going to happen. Aden is enjoying watching, feeding and holding them. I hope to get better pictures than these soon.
3 comments:
What are you feeding them?
My research (and past experience) is that they need a cat food with over 27% protein/10-13% fat, soaked in water with one drop of bird vitamins added. It has to be mashed to the consistency of apple sauce and fed off a something small like a toothpick. They eat every 15-45 hours during daylight hours, and can go without 6-8 hours at night. They went to the wildlife rehab center today where they can get the intense attention they need until they fly!
sorry 15-45 MINUTES :)
Post a Comment