Monday, July 11, 2011

Safe at Camp

Saturday morning at 8 a.m. Mom, Aden and I left for the 11 hour drive to Rolla, Missouri! I convinced everyone that we should stop at each state sign to take a picture, and they obliged me. Unfortunately, the tick-infested grasses at the Missouri stop (one hitched a ride back into the car with us), and the 100+ degree heat dimmed the enthusiasm and patience for my photography, so you'll notice we don't have that many! No matter, the trip was a great one.

8 a.m. departure from home.
The Iowa border.


The Missouri Line- Land of 10,000 Road-Killed Raccoons
We arrived in Rolla to some fierce heat, but Aden cooled down in the motel pool. We spent Saturday night there before dropping off Aden at camp on Sunday.  Luckily, despite the heat, we found camp easily.  Camp turned out to be an expansive property of (nicely air conditioned) buildings spread out over a hilly area covered in lush forests.  As we drove in, Aden commented, "This seems like a great place for animals.  That makes me feel less nervous!"

I was so proud of Aden.  We did some exploring, completed all our check in tasks, and got his things unpacked in his cabin.  He was able to secure a top bunk, as he had wished to do, and before long, his bunk mate, Abe, a boy from Leavenworth, Kansas arrived.  Wide-eyed over the animals, camp store, and promise of a million fun things to do, Aden said goodbye without a tear or a shred of hesitation.  I was so proud of how he handled his nerves, and I hope he is having the time of his life!

The llama-led welcoming committee was one of the first things we saw after arriving at camp!
I put a link to our bookmarked photos that the camp takes at left.  If I haven't sent you the link and sign-in information to send notes to Aden at camp, let me know and I will.

Here's to the awesome adventures of travel and new experiences!!

No comments: