Last week marked Aden's 7 1/2 year birthday (not that we celebrate, but I just noticed as I was looking at the calendar). I've been thinking about how much I love the age he is... Seven years old is such a pleasant, peaceful age, so much easier than all the other ages and stages. Aden's personality is such a joy (most of the time!), but his age seems to help too.
- Aden is interested in, and loves, most things. A couple of weeks ago we attended a concert - entirely Israeli music, none of it in English. He leaned over to me a few minutes into it, exclaimed, "This is SO interesting!" then proceeded to listen attentively, neglecting the bag full of toys in his lap, for an entire two hours.
- Aden can't get enough of US! I know that someday soon he will think we are dumb and embarrassing, but for now, Aden is overjoyed by our presence, our attention, and our time together as a family. One of the things the Easter Bunny brought this year was a coupon book that included ten free passes for Aden to sleep in our bed with us. He LOVED this more than any of the candy or toy things in his basket. He LOVES being with mom and dad in the big bed!
- He knows what he wants, what he needs, and how to get it. Embracing his own independence and abilities, Aden can do almost everything himself... Furthermore, if he can't, he communicates it. Pour his own milk? Get his own snack? Find his pajamas? He's on it.
- Unless he is really tired or unusually crabby, he can handle himself. Long gone are the routing tantrums, emotional outbursts, and unreasonable streaks.
- Seeing Aden out in the world interacting with other people is endlessly fascinating to me. Sure, we knew he was a great kid when he was two or three, but now I can arrive at his classroom a few minutes early, before he sees me, and watch him taking turns and being kind to his classmates. Or, I am approached by others who also notice what a bright and polite boy he is. I like this very much.
2 comments:
I love it when they turn such a corner and you start feel like you have a handle on the actual person that your child is. It seems my children have hit that stage at different ages. Walter hit that stage around 5. And Trent, at nearly 8, has finally turned the corner.
What an awesome Mom, who can see and cherish and capture those special moments with Aden.
I fear I was so busy growing up myself while raising three, that I did not always take the time to slow down and treasure them individually.
Post a Comment