Saturday, January 3, 2009

Six Quirks from Kiessa

Finally, here you go Kaci:

7. I seriously have not made my bed in years. I can’t remember the last time I made it. I’m not sure what this says about me. Analyze away, fine readers.

6. I constantly lose my keys, the TV remote, my glasses… I’m the last person to notice if something isn’t working properly or is out of place... But I remember other random details in vivid detail. The cover and the content of a Nancy Drew book I was reading as I sat next to my grandma Brohaugh’s bed as she lay dying in 1988… The veil Laura wore when she married Luke on General Hospital (I was 5, and must have been hanging around as Mom watched). The layout of my dad’s first office building on Main Street. The book I read about the kidnapped child as we drove home from skiing in Red Lodge when I was about fourteen. The grey and blue bedspread with flowers Grandma Webster went to great pains to select for her guest room… The list goes on and on. But later I’ll have to call myself on my cell phone to identify its location. Yes, giggle away as you picture me madly running around trying to find the phone before it rolls to voicemail. Yesterday it rang from under the bed skirt - ???

5. I am not an obsessively clean or tidy person… But I do have a thing about food - where and how it is cooked… NO BAKE SALES, and at work pot-lucks I only eat items prepared in kitchens I’ve seen. I have to distract myself from thoughts about what may happen to my food before it is served to me at restaurants.

4. I can’t go to sleep without washing my face, no matter where I am, how late it is or what I’ve been doing. I’ve been known to haul my own water, or hike to a pump filled with icy cold stream water in the dark to fill this need while camping. A full bath or shower is better yet (I have bathed in a campground pump, and I can confirm that it is like plunging into a bucket of ice).

3. I don’t wake up without an alarm clock.

2. I always believed I’d die young… I didn’t think I’d make it to 15, 20, 30… I’ve tried to plan accordingly – like in the case of Aden, there are volumes of journals of writings about him, my thoughts as a mother, my hopes for him… Just in case.

1. You know how sometimes you try something completely new, and inexplicably, unexpectedly you find that you can do it? Well, I’m no rocker, but I am the new Guitar Hero of this household!

2 comments:

DeedieLynn said...

I tried Guitar Hero - Daniel has it. As a so-so guitarist, it is not very easy. Definitely takes some practice, so you've accomplished something to be the best!

KW said...

My specialty is Eye of the Tiger, but I've been listening to this song since I was six years old, so that is how I justify this to Dave, because he is utterly stupefied that I can do this at all! :)
-Kiessa