Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Life in Costa Rica

I've been wanting to post more about my trip to Costa Rica...

Mari, Coqui, Veronica and Samantha met me at the airport.  We were immediately a tangle of hugs, kisses, tears and inadequate words for the occasion.  Thirteen years is just too long.  Being enfolded back into the family and tucked affectionately into a spot just for me is something I can feel but not quite describe in a satisfying way. 

Mari and Coqui's home is a tranquil place where the focus is connection.  Time speeds up and slows down simultaneously - faster because the enriching togetherness is never long enough, and slower because being so present in the moment makes each minute seem fuller somehow. Each day we spent at least five hours just talking - talking about anything and everything, just like we used to do. 

Soon after I arrived,  Mari's entire family began visiting - sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews and cousins.  Some came and went, some stayed for dinner, some showed up for dessert, and her parents who could not walk to us stayed put at their home, and we went to them.  It is a close-knit clan characterized by joyous and loving exchanges, cherished time together and frequent contact.  Each hello and goodbye is sealed with a kiss and a hug.  Even for me.  Always.

One of the things I enjoyed most about this trip was the ways in which Mari and Coqui had, and hadn't, changed.  She still loves to nurture everyone with delicious foods and share her lovely home.  He still spreads affection and words of affirmation.  This time, they seemed even happier together.  The smooth flow of sentiment and closeness between them was delightful.

One week ago, exactly at this moment, I was preparing to leave Costa Rica the night before my flight.  I hate the last nights.  They are excruciating and emotional for all of us.  Someday I hope the last nights will be marked by knowing when the next trip will be.

No comments: