Sunday, June 13, 2010

Claw

Can anyone help identify this gross creature? While digging in the flowerbed for critter-food, Aden unearthed this specimen. He is delighted beyond belief... Dave and I are... grossed out! It does take a lot to gross me out...

This thing is large. It was covered in slime (we washed it). It has gangly, spiny legs. It is mushy. It has pincers. It may have the beginnings of wings. I'm not sure. We've never seen anything like it before, but it now lives in a bug habitat on my kitchen cupboard. Its name is Claw.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

EWWWW; let me check with my Mom and get back to you!

Anonymous said...

Can't tell if comment published-I think it's a cicada nymph (bc).

DeedieLynn said...

oh joy - it must be something that is going to metamorphose, methinks. anonymous could be right. At least it won't be slimy and squishy too much longer! :)

Unknown said...

Ok, Bob just said he thinks it is what you call an "Earth Baby". He also thinks it could be a "Dung Beettle" Did you get my Mom's e-mail that I forwarded to you?
Barb