Sunday, February 21, 2010

Misc.

Well, this reminiscing about Costa Rica has taken on a life of it's own and I've been enjoying immersing myself in the memories by poring through journals, photos and letters. Since it doesn't pertain directly to our family life, and since I've decided to see it through to the end, I have set up a separate place for it. Feel free to visit me there:
http://reminiscingagain.blogspot.com/

Here in present time, the snow is brown, the winter is long, and I am ready for some warm weather. This it the time of year that gets a bit long and unexciting. The snow doesn't seem to be in the best shape for Dave to snow-mobile and I don't feel particularly inclined to take Aden out for activities in the seemingly endless cold, so it is the season for board games, indoor toys and other attempts to find fun things to do. We've gone to the indoor pool, Aden has gone to several birthday parties, we've gone out for some movies and pizza... But I sound a little flat because this is the time of year that is a bit... flat....


Despite the flatness, my macro lens arrived! I can't wait to get out to experiment more with it.
Also in hopes of combating the flat-ness, I took a glass blowing class yesterday... It was a fabulous day with my friend Bobbi that included class and a bit of exploring in downtown Minneapolis in the morning, and a delicious lunch, dessert and some shopping in St. Paul in the afternoon.Standing a few feet away from a pit of 2,200-degree molten glass made me feel like my face was going to peel right off!

Keeping the glowing liquid on the rod is so much more difficult than it looked, so our teacher, Danielle helped us out by maneuvering it while we focused on the look of our soon-to-be paper weights. Rather than being perfectly round or delightfully egg-shaped, mine will be a bit globby looking. Because, well, I really suck at glass blowing! Oh well - it was lots of fun!
Bobbi achieved an awesome corkscrew look for the interior of her paper weight. We won't be able to see them finished until next week since they are still cooling down...
Here are some actual blown glass vases. It goes without saying that I did not make them. And I never will. :) Here's to doing new things, and even more to friends who suggest new and different activities!

No comments: