Sunday, November 29, 2009

When You're Stuck in a Car Wash

Well, many of you recall the tale of my captivity in the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum elevator in September... True to 2009 form, I had another run-in with an enclosed space today.

Before Dave left last Wednesday, thoughtful as he is, he handed me a car wash code and encouraged me to use it. Today I did. I drove in to the wash bay, the big entry and exit doors closed and I sat through the wash praising all that is clean in my life. As the wash finished up and I drove forward, I realized the car wash exit door WOULD NOT OPEN.

In case this has never happened to you before, I thought I'd share my thoughts from the experience:
- Car wash bay floors are FAR more slippery than I imagined. I guess they don't factor customer safety in the overall design, since CUSTOMERS TYPICALLY DON"T HAVE TO GET OUT OF THEIR CARS TO SUMMON HELP.
- Why in the hell would you put a button labeled "open" next to the exit door if, when you push it, the door doesn't open?
- Do you know that the big entry and exit doors don't work manually? That really sucks.
- You know the small door that appears to lead to the attached gas station inside the car wash? They keep it locked. And, they don't come if you knock.
- Service phone anyone? They don't have those. I would know, because I looked. Thoroughly.
- Ever wondered what all the buttons do inside the car wash? Not much. I tried them.
- How long, exactly, would it take for someone to come to the aid of a woman honking incessantly inside a car wash? Let me know if you find out - I couldn't bring myself to try it. By the way, do you know how LOUD it is to honk inside there and have that sound echoing off the walls? Try it. I predict you'll only do it once.
- When I realized I could successfully gain freedom by ramming my car through the exit door, it seems like a great idea at first, especially after waiting for a while... But then I realized I would just wreck the car.
- Here's my tip of the day: Don't visit a drive-in door-closing car wash without a cell phone. You receive an awfully weird response from the gas station attendant when you finally do track down the number and inform her that you are stuck right next door, but it appears to be the only way out.
- Doesn't a refund seem in order? I mean, it probably is only about $7.00, but still...

3 comments:

Brett B said...

They didn't offer you a refund? That's super lame.

At least you didn't lock yourself in of your own volition. Like, saying, washing the car in the middle of the winter and having all the doors freeze...

CB said...

You post with such humor and wit, it's hard not to chuckle. I LOVE reading your entries. I don't comment often, but it's truly become something for which I watch and look forward. :)

Brandi said...

Wow. What a strange experience. I am so sorry that I laughed hard when I read this. I can't imagine how crazy this day was for you.